A wonderful and nutritious soup, with red bell peppers which are high in beta-carotene and vitamin C.
- 2 red bell peppers, quartered and seeds and stems removed
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and cut into half-inch wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 can (13 3/4 oz.) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 1/2 oz.) Italian style plum tomatoes with juices
- 1 can (11 oz.) corn kernels, drained
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves or coarsely chopped basil leaves, optional
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine peppers, onion, garlic and olive in a large baking dish. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Cool slightly. Add chicken broth mixture with tomatoes. Transfer to a large saucepan. Add corn and simmer until heated through. Add pepper to taste, ladle into bowls and, if desired, garnish with fresh cilantro or basil.
Serves 4, with 150 calories and 5 grams fat per serving.
Source: American Institute for Cancer Research