This lasagna recipe is lower in fat than many versions for several reasons: low fat cheeses are used, the quantity of Parmesan cheese is limited, and no high-fat meat sauce is used. The flavor is delicious - not much different than regular cheese lasagna. Tofu is a good source of protein (and other nutrients) that is low-cost and low in fat.
- The first step is to prepare the Red Pepper Sauce:
- Red Pepper Sauce
- 6 Large red bell peppers
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- Optional: 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- Slice red peppers into quarters (or smaller) and put them in a steamer. Steam until soft (about 20 minutes).
- Put Olive oil in small pan and put over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until translucent (about 1-2 minutes).
- Put steamed red peppers, basil, oregano and salt into food processor and turn on. While blending, drizzle in olive oil/garlic mixture until completely mixed. Turn off food processor.
- Transfer to sauce pan and cook for approximately 15 minutes to blend flavors and evaporate some of the water so it will thicken.
- This sauce is more orange in color and more sweet in flavor than tomato sauce, but when mixed with ground beef for spaghetti sauce or used on a pizza it is hard to tell that it's not made from tomatoes.
- Making the lasagna:
- 1 lb. lasagna noodles (preferably whole wheat)
- 28 oz. red pepper sauce- see above
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 8 oz. part skim mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/2 lb mushrooms, cut in half
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (or 1 Tbs. dried)
- 1 cup tofu mashed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. low fat cottage cheese
- 1 9-ounce can artichoke hearts in brine, chopped
- 1 10 oz. package spinach, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
Steam fresh spinach or thaw frozen spinach, set aside. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. When done, drain, douse with cold water, and set aside.
Mix together tofu, crushed garlic, cottage cheese and 1 Tbs. of Parmesan. In a separate bowl, combine mushrooms, parsley, spinach and artichoke hearts. Combine tomato purée, basil, garlic powder and oregano. Spread a thin layer of this sauce in a large baking dish (about 10"x15"). followed by a layer of noodles. Top this with layers of the vegetable mixture, mozzarella cheese and the tofu mixture. Spoon another layer of sauce over all this, followed by another layer of pasta. Continue to build layers, reserving enough tomato sauce to cover the final layer of pasta. Sprinkle with 3 Tbs. Parmesan cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Let stand briefly before cutting and serving.
Yield: 6-8 servings
Preparation Time: 25-30 minutes, Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Fat Content: 10 grams (6 servings); 7 grams (8 servings)
Calorie Content: 560 (6 servings), 420 (8 servings)