- 1 lb. linguine or other pasta
- 1 lb. asparagus, cut in 2-inch lengths
- 1 lg. sweet red pepper, cut in thin strips
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. low-fat chicken stock or water
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp. dried basil or 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Optional: 3 cloves garlic, minced
In a large pot of boiling water, cook the pasta until it is tender but firm. In the top of a pasta cooking pot or steamer, steam the asparagus and red pepper for 3 minutes or until tender-crisp; drain.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan or microwaveable dish, combine the oil, stock and garlic; cook over medium heat for 1 minute or microwave at High power for 20 seconds or until the garlic is tender.
Drain the pasta and return it to the cooking pot; toss with the cooked asparagus, pepper, oil mixture, cheese, parsley and basil. Serve immediately.
Each of the 5 servings contains 447 calories and 9 grams of fat.
Source: American Institute for Cancer Research